1. A good name exceeds the value of fine perfume, and the day of someone’s death exceeds the value of the day of his birth.
2. It’s better to attend a funeral than to attend a banquet, for everyone dies eventually, and the living will take this to heart.
3. Sorrow is better than laughter, because the heart is made better through trouble.
4. For the wise person thinks carefully when in mourning, but fools focus their thoughts on pleasure.
5. It is better to listen to a wise person’s rebuke than to listen to the praise of fools.