GOD WILL WORK THROUGH ANYONE, AND USE ANYTHING IN ACCOMPLISHING HIS DIVINE PURPOSE! [PART II]
ACTS 19:11-20 (NIV):11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them. 13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding. 17 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. 18 Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done. 19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. 20 In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.
In the marvels of history, one man, Paul, was able to combat pedestrian overtures of witches, pagan practice and superstition, to convey the Way of the Lord through a dramatic episode in which magicians and sorcerers consigned their cabalistic parchments to flames as they embraced Christianity (Acts 19:19-20). One of the seven churches referred to in the book of Revelation was established as a result. History repeats, but God doesn’t work in predictable patterns neither does He work through people the same way. What if we were called to reach just one soul, our entire life?
Our generation is in the gospel/epistle dispensation and we still have astrologers, itinerant magicians, false teachers and prophets among us, all preying on a credulous populace, compromising the gospel and causing confusion. The line between divination and true prophesy is thin and requires sharp discernment. The same way Paul faced such intense opposition back in the day, so is it in our days. Acts 19 is evidence that God can use anything and work through anyone to bring His purposes to bear. The madman [or the demon(s) in him] overpowered and exposed seven impostors. In the process the gospel was received reverently and spread widely.
- Divine orchestration reveals the true character of God to manifest publicly, leaving no doubt;
- Nobody can stop, manipulate or duplicate the work of God’s power;
- The power to convict and change people is by the Holy Spirit – not charms, artifacts, or inanimate objects;
- We cannot tap God’s anointing through proxy or by merely reciting and chanting Christ’s name;
- God works His power only through His chosen vessels for His purposes;
- Believers should avoid cultist and retrogressive traditions, magic and sorcery. God forbids such (Deuteronomy 18:9-13);
- Testimony of God’s work manifests His glory and doesn’t depend on human validation;
- Prophesy is fulfilling to confirm God’s Word;
- The Lord shall expose and scatter His enemies [Ref. Psalm 35];
- The Lord shall preserve His people [Ref. Psalms 23; 33; 91].
Originally posted by Dann Matthews W’Obukosia
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.