GOOD NEWS? WHAT GOOD NEWS?
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus”[Romans 8:1]
“1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” [ROMANS 12:1-2]
“Hakuna kitu powa hii dunia. Ni vitu tu za kushtua, ufisadi, vifo, hakuna vibarua,kwa wasee, virusi, siasa na viongozi wanamanga doo ingetusaidia na hakuna kitu inatendeka. Ni kubaya aise!” [There is nothing good in news! We only hear about corruption, deaths, youth unemployment, Covid and politics.]
Leaders are stealing money that could help us but no action is taken. It is so gross!”I overheard that conversation among some teenagers and was taken aback by their hopelessness and sense of despair. At their age I was bubbly, optimistic and adventurous! I also discovered that even though we are in the same world, we are navigating different time zones. I realized just how rapidly the world is causing great shifts and adjustments in the way we do life. Strife, death, unemployment, job cuts, depression, oppression, suppression, limitation, persecution, corruption, name it, is all over our news. But God remains the same intentional Master Planer who populates the earth across generations. Every generation is relevant and lives for a purpose. Some generations preserve cultures as others dismantle and disintegrate. Mysteriously there is no age gaps from centenarians (100 years above), nonagenarians (90-99 years), octogenarians (80-89 years) and the earth hosts a cross-generational stratum of humans ranging from:
- Baby boomers 56-76 years old (born between 1944-1964);
- Generation X 41-55 years old (born between 1965-1979);
- Generation Y 26-40 years old (born between 1980-1994);
- To currently, generation Z between 5-25 years old (born between 1995-2015). (The generation after that are now called digital natives)
Each cohort are acculturated uniquely and don’t think at the same level, their experiences and worldviews as wide as the oceans! Each generation has accumulated varying degrees of knowledge at respective stages; evolving within a progressive socio-cultural and/or technological space with unique preferences on resources, time, interests, culture, religion, politics, relationships, etc., given peculiar dynamics that shape our attitudes and perceptions. Often times we find ourselves feeling out of place when we do or say things that appear incongruent, obsolete or inappropriate to prevailing occasions, dependent on emerging standards.
But what does Good News portend to such diverse generations?
What does it mean for the gospel to function as the power of God in our midst given such scenarios?
- Striving daily to live in righteousness by the grace of God [Ephesians 2:8,9];
- Renewing our minds daily through transformation by God’s Word in our deeds and endeavoring to do the good, pleasing and perfect will of God in our lives for the benefit of the Kingdom as to our profit [Romans 12:2].
- God and all His attributes is the constant, I AM, from generation to generation! [Numbers 23:19; Psalm 33:11, 90:1-2, 102:25-27, and 119:89-90; Isaiah 40:8, 28; Malachi 3:6; John 3:16; 1 Timothy 1:17; 2 Timothy 2:13; Hebrews 4:12; James 1:17].
- The beauty of the gospel is that those who trust in Jesus need never again fear alienation from God, for in Christ, we have blessed assurance, we are secure, loved, made whole, chosen, purified, sanctified and accepted in the beloved!.
- Lastly, if the gospel is truly God’s raw power that neutralizes hopelessness and clears our doubts, enabling us to live forward in hope by faith, a day at a time for as long as we have breath, then we acknowledge that the indwelling Spirit of God is already made manifest in overcoming the world [1 John 4:4]!
- Academic achievements, affluence, opulence and sophistication are good but not important and actually fade before God’s counsel.
The gospel on the other hand is the enduring Good News in that: while we were dead in our trespasses and sin, education, religion couldn’t save us; New Year resolutions, universal goals, resolutions and all other declarations couldn’t help us. Constitutions, political manifestos and movements have failed! Scientific breakthroughs and human protocols couldn’t save us; aristocracies, dynasties, military juntas, political revolutions, “democratic” elections, etc., couldn’t save us;Turnover in trillions of dollars through governments and non-governmental funding couldn’t save us! Civil or human rights activism, feminism, and all forms of advocacy continue all fall short of expectations and couldn’t save anyone; Financial institutions crumble and have failed to solve human needs and continue instead to cause trauma, emotional, physical, psychological and spiritual poverty!
What do we lose by believing such simple reality presented of the gospel yet we have this outstanding promise that stands out throughout ALL generations: “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” [Matthew 6:33] “16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned … 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, …” [John 3:16-19]
Friend! That, is the GOOD NEWS!
The gospel is the equalizer that enables us to blend, complement and supplement our identity inter-generationally, given different expectations but the same results, that is, we are all on transit. Despite our world-views, beyond our senses and sight, the rise and fall of empires, the afflictions of the believers, and the shifts in our fortunes, lies the purpose of God, a good purpose which will in the end prevail. The only mandate upon the church of Christ therefore, remains the same: to PROCLAIM the gospel of GOOD NEWS to ALL people on earth. The beauty of the gospel is endless because the LOVE of God is endless!
Your brother redeemed by the love of Christ,
Originally posted by Dann Matthews W’Obukosia
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.